From "Fabio Latrofa" <flatr...@sivaspa.com>
Subject Re: PSML Browser Portlet performance issue
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:30:19 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Sean Taylor" <david@bluesunrise.com>
To: "Jetspeed Developers List" <jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: PSML Browser Portlet performance issue

> On Thursday, April 17, 2003, at 08:30  AM, Fabio Latrofa wrote:
>
> > I noticed a performance issue with PSML Browser Portlet working on DB:
> > the
> > buildNormalContext method is very slow the first time and also after a
> > doRefresh action.
>
> I haven't really noticed it being that slow against the db here (Oracle)
> How slow is slow?

It was realy slow (more than 1 minute to get a response), but this mourning
I double checked and, to tell you the truth, there was also a concurrent
process that was running on the same machine. The concurrent process was
consuming about 80% of cpu time. Now PSML Browser Portlet is fast enough
(about 10 seconds to get a response).
I'm sorry but I thought my tomcat was the only application running during
tests.

Anyway...

> >  Five queries executed:
> >  - SELECT JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE.PSML_ID,...FROM JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE
> > ORDER
> > BY UPPER(JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE.USER_NAME) ASC,...
> >  - SELECT TURBINE_USER.USER_ID, ... FROM TURBINE_USER WHERE
> > TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME='admin'
> >  - SELECT TURBINE_USER.USER_ID, ... FROM TURBINE_USER WHERE
> > TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME='admin'
> >  - SELECT TURBINE_USER.USER_ID, ... FROM TURBINE_USER WHERE
> > TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME='anon'
> >  - SELECT TURBINE_USER.USER_ID, ... FROM TURBINE_USER WHERE
> > TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME='anon'
> >

> I thought there should be 3 queries against: JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE,
> JETSPEED_GROUP_PROFILE, and JETSPEED_ROLE_PROFILE
> One optimization that I've been considering is to combine these 3
> tables.
>
> Are you sure that the queries against TURBINE_USER are generated from
> the DatabasePsmlManagerService?

Well, I'm pretty sure about the queries and you are right, there are 3
queries against: JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE, JETSPEED_GROUP_PROFILE, and
JETSPEED_ROLE_PROFILE; but also:

- for each profile in JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE there is a query on TURBINE_USER
- for each profile in JETSPEED_GROUP_PROFILE there is a query on
TURBINE_GROUP
- for each profile in JETSPEED_ROLE_PROFILE there is a query on TURBINE_ROLE

I will privately send you a portion of the torque.log file (the
portion involved in the operation).

Now I'm no more sure about the problem. Do you think there might be
performance issues with hundreds of user?

Regards,

Fabio Latrofa
SIVA S.p.A
Mail: flatrofa@sivaspa.com

Questa e-mail e' stata verificata dal sistema di antivirus della Siva S.P.A.