From "Mingfai Ma" <ming...@hongkong.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Php portal server
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 05:47:48 GMT
hi,

I see one of the difference between Java-based and php-based systems is
that, the Java ones are more focus on infrastructure, following standard, oo
design, flexible open for integration, but less focus on functionalities.
(this could be too subjective as I only know Java but not Php) The term
'mature' may be not correct. My thought is based on my understanding in some
Java and php open source projects in the areas like: portal, weblog, cms,
wiki etc. The php counterparts are generally provide better "out-of-the-box"
functionalities.

Indeed, I posted the previous msg so that, in case any of you are not aware
of the functionalities or ideas of the php portal, you can take a look.
Hopefully, it help very slightly to make Jetspeed better in the future.

Besides, I really want to know why there are such difference. I think Java
and J2EE provide better fundamental to build more powerful and scalable
systems than php. I sure the php one doesn't have a standard-based portlet
API (i wonder they don't use portlet or equivalent at all), but it provides
more functionalities that attracts many people. For example, on the
technical side, it provides live hit statistics, a headline/news publishing
mechanism, site statisitcs *[1] etc.

Maybe it is the case that there are more php ppl than Java developers?! Let
me post a message to the Struts list later to discuss this OT issue.

Regards,
mingfai

*[1] - not the portal one. but a php cms.
Sample statistics page:
http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:oQWRMyWI2UkC:www.geotrail.no/mmbportal/
modules/visitors2/index.php%3Ftopicpath%3D1%257C4%257C+FAST-WebCrawler/3.6+(
atw-crawler+at+fast+dot+n+geotrail.no/+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
product: http://www.mamboserver.com/

btw another famous one is http://phpnuke.org/