From "Casimiro Lovato-Winston" <winston.ca...@metnet.navy.mil>
Subject RE: ???NEW WebPageService/WebPageServlet NEW ???
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:59:21 GMT
Hi David,

I am currently in an effort to refactor our webpageproxyportlet and an
accompanying servlet and htmlrewriter.

We have found that the swing html editor kit is much faster for html
rewriting than using regular expressions. Based on the earlier emails I took
a look at the noodle package and see that it has configurability abilities
beyond what we currently use for our servlet but I am concerned that it may
be slow since it does use regex (but then I have not 'really' looked at it)
You are welcome to any code that we have written although some of it is
fairly specific to our purposes. We are in an effort to refactor parts so
that it is more usefull outside of our specific portal needs.

hope that helps,

Casimiro

-----Original Message-----
From: David G. Powers [mailto:jetspeed-dev@pssp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 12:27 PM
To: Jetspeed Developers List
Subject: Re: ???NEW WebPageService/WebPageServlet NEW ???

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 06:01 pm, David Sean Taylor wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 12:16  PM, Norman Schöneich wrote:
> > Is it new ? seems to be very interesting ! Can someone give more
> > information about this service ?
>
> Its new but not completed.
> I just found this link on the general site. It looks much more advanced
> and has a lot of overlap:
>
> http://noodle.tigris.org/
>
> The WebPage service was to be integrated with the WebPagePortlet2.
> It keeps multiple connection state (cookies), and rewrites links back
> to itself, not to the actual page.
> I don't foresee having much time to work on it now

At one point I implemented a WebPageProxyPortlet for a customer.  I wanted
to contribute it but I never got it packaged "just right".  I got
distracted trying to find the "Jetspeed Way(tm)" of doing things and
ultimately ran out of time.

Many contracts later I find myself ready to re-embark on the effort.  This
time around I don't want to get lost in a Castor/XML vs. Torque/RDBMS vs.
PSML config or a "new" HTMLRRewriter vs. "old" HTMLRewriter decision.

Is someone actively working on this?  The task is fairly trivial - I've
already done it once and it worked quite well.  I'm just looking for
someone to tell me which building blocks to use.  I'm not looking for
help with the code - I just want to be steered in the right direction.

Anyone want to identify the tools & techniques to use so the project can
ultimately become an integral part of Jetspeed?

DP

--
David G. Powers
PowerSource