From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: jetspeed arabization problem
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:10:00 GMT
ahmed shaheen wrote:
> Hi all
>
> we are trying now to arabize jetspeed and we are facing some problems.
> We are using jetspeed1.4b3 with Tomcat 4.1.12 On WinXP
> Our steps were:
> 1) writing a (JetspeedLocalization_ar.properties) file with windows
> notepad(ansi encoding)
> 2) adding some changes to the LocalizationTool.class to return the
> string with WINDOWS-1256 encoding
> 3) changing the encodings and charactersets in all files : jr.p tr.p
> fulcrum.p velocity.p
> these steps were successfully done and arabic strings appeared correctlty.

As a generic comment, I think it is simpler to use UTF-8 encoding for
the whole Portal, since then the portal will be able to represent any
Unicode character *at the same time*, and thus your portal will be able
to show words in any language. For instance, my full name, "Santiago
Gala PĂ©rez" (&eacute;) has a character that cannot be represented in any
"local" locale except ISO-8859-1..15, but it fits nicely in UTF-8,
toghether with japanese, arab, chinese or even ancient native american
languages. UTF-8 is the default for XML (thus for xhtml), and your
portal will be accesible by any reasonable browser for any reasonable use.

I think about localization more like message translation than Character
Encoding translation. *But*, this does no mean that Jetspeed should not
work with any locale supported by java.

> then we tried to arabize the content retrieved from XML files As .psml
> files (eg. tabs' titles in tabpane layout)
> but it seems that there is a problem in reading and writing arabic in
> XML files. Did anybody face a similar problem .. we think that the problem
> in the XML APIs that deals with files.

If I remember correctly, the specification of locale in the xml preamble
*must* conform to a standard (I don't know from my head the url) and
very possibly WINDOWS-1265 is not part of this standard, or it hsould be
expressed in a precise case. But I could be wrong. Look for "xml
preamble locale" or something similar.