From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-jetspeed/lib jdbc-se2.0.jar
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:18:18 GMT
Luta, Raphael (VUN) wrote:
> De : Mark Orciuch [mailto:mark_orciuch@yahoo.com]
>
>>I'm still using Tomcat 3.2.1 to match the servlet API level
>>of the version
>>of WebSphere we're using in the final deployment. I see now that both
>>activation and mail jars are also distributed with Tomcat 4.
>>How is it that
>>they can distribute these and we can't?
>>

> In a nutshell, we have the right to redistribute mail and activation jars
> as part of a binary release (ie, incorporated with the product) but not
> as individual downloads which is what CVS allows.

This is exactly what the license says. I asked in community@apache.org
wether we could bundle Sun binary license packages in a kind of
half-empty "developers toolkit" binary package, to bypass easily the
restriction, but knowledgeable people told me that it was bending the
rules too much ;-)

> Bottom line is:
> Jetspeed releases can bundle any of the Sun jars but we can't store these
> in the CVS tree.

we will bundle mail.jar and activation.jar (with the current build.xml)
in the war, as a clean build won't succeed if they are not in the lib
directory. Maybe build.xml should complain if jdbc-2.0extensions.jar is
not available when building "dist", to ensure that a release will
contain it. I'll look at it.

The problem is mostly for casual/first time "builders" of Jetspeed from
source, where it harms the most, raising the entry barrier for new
developers or debuggers. It is a pity, but legal issues are not always
reasonable or easy to handle.

We should document in the "install from sources" the need for these jars.

I''l try to find it, unless anybody more familiar with the docs layout
arrives first.