From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Problem with licensing of a file
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 20:23:37 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 11:44  AM, Santiago Gala wrote:
>
>> As most of you probably know, Jetspeed needs several jars for operation
>>

>> activation.jar   (jaf java activation framework,
>> http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans/glasgow/jaf.html )
>> jdbc-se.jar     (jdbc 2.0 standard extensions,
>> http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/download.html)
>> mail.jar        (Java Mail API,
>> http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/index.html)
>>
>> The Apache Software Foundation is *not allowed* to redistribute those
>> packages, and there is a discussion in the community and
>> jakarta-general lists about the issue. See, for instance:
>>
>> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/
>> ReadMsg?listName=community@apache.org&msgNo=1480
>>
>> and surrounding messages.
>>
>> The activation.jar was removed by David february last year.
>>
>> Now, I have stated that I will remove the remaining two briefly, and
>> add pointers in the documentation to ensure that people knows they
>> are  missing, and that they must be downloaded separately and placed
>> in the  lib dir (or specified via maven).
>>
>> Just a prior notice, in case someone objects, or has better ideas.
>>
>> I'm also trying to grok maven to use it for the list, but it will
>> take  some time since I understand ;-)
>

> Hi Santiago,
>
> I read on the general list that you were having back problems, and I
> hope you are feeling better now.

I'm feeling better. I even managed to work most of the last month from
the bed. Actually, I had more time once I got rid of commuting, visits
to clients, etc., and fully teleworked ;-)

> Please do remove the jars to comply with Apache's redistribution rules.

I will try to test build and post notices in the different doc files and
in the xdocs.

> I would like to see Maven used in the Jetspeed build eventually, but I
> don't plan on doing so in the near future, so please feel free to work
> on it yourself.

I'm slowly getting it to work, but it will take some time. I think
Martin had some patches for it here, which I just saw.

While I see that making the user go to independently download files (it
is just for source builds, not for distribution, AFAIK), I will take
care that all the text about it put the blame on whoever holds that
license that restricts this.

Regards, and hope you're doing well.