From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: ???NEW WebPageService/WebPageServlet NEW ???
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:41:19 GMT

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 12:27  PM, David G. Powers wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 February 2003 06:01 pm, David Sean Taylor wrote:
>> On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 12:16  PM, Norman Schöneich wrote:
>>> Is it new ? seems to be very interesting ! Can someone give more
>>> information about this service ?
>>
>> Its new but not completed.
>> I just found this link on the general site. It looks much more
>> and has a lot of overlap:
>>
>> http://noodle.tigris.org/
>>
>> The WebPage service was to be integrated with the WebPagePortlet2.
>> It keeps multiple connection state (cookies), and rewrites links back
>> to itself, not to the actual page.
>> I don't foresee having much time to work on it now
>

> At one point I implemented a WebPageProxyPortlet for a customer.  I
> wanted
> to contribute it but I never got it packaged "just right".  I got
> distracted trying to find the "Jetspeed Way(tm)" of doing things and
> ultimately ran out of time.
>
> Many contracts later I find myself ready to re-embark on the effort.
> This
> time around I don't want to get lost in a Castor/XML vs. Torque/RDBMS
> vs.
> PSML config or a "new" HTMLRRewriter vs. "old" HTMLRewriter decision.

Im tired of the having 7 odd implementations, some in the CVS, some not.
Lets work together on one implementation, what do you think?
Take all the best features from all implementations.

> Is someone actively working on this?  The task is fairly trivial - I've
> already done it once and it worked quite well.  I'm just looking for
> someone to tell me which building blocks to use.  I'm not looking for
> help with the code - I just want to be steered in the right direction.

its only as trivial as you make it out to be
there's a whole project called Noodle, doesn't seem very trivial to me
Personally Im not looking for a trivial solution

Steering in the right direction?

Well I don't want to push my way on everyone else.
I'd like to hear what others have to say.
For me, I'd like to see:

1. WebPagePortlet2 as the basic portlet
2. Migrate all the init-param features in WebPagePortlet to
WebPagePortlet2 --or--
	- better yet, look at how noodle defines rewriter rules
3. Look into using the WebPageService to handle state and rewriting,
integrate WebPagePortlet2 with WebPagePortlet

I know you have some nice Single Signon extensions to WebPagePortlet
Lets formalize your ideas there and build them in

> Anyone want to identify the tools & techniques to use so the project
> can
> ultimately become an integral part of Jetspeed?

Yes. Why don't you take the lead on this David.
I know that you write good quality code, I've seen your patches before.
Im swamped working on J2 and I can only donate so much of my time to OS

David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com
+01 707 773-4646