From EP...@upstate.com
Subject RE: Web Application Portlet?
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:47:13 GMT
I too have found a similar need.  I want to embed a Yazd newsgroup in a
portal, and found the same issues with the WebPagePortlet.  I noticed a
WebPagePortlet2 or something that was similar, but didn't always work right.

I would be willing to help unit test etc a webpageportlet, but not sure
about coding one as the lead.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Andre Spiegel [mailto:spiegel@gnu.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 4:57 AM
To: jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Web Application Portlet?

This seems like a fairly obvious question to me, but I haven't seen it
discussed anywhere.

I would like to have a portlet that can display an entire web
application that lives on a different server, and through which I can
interact with that application just as if I visited it directly with my
browser.  The portlet ought to be able to filter some of the
application's HTML, which is why an IFramePortlet won't do the job.
The WebPagePortlet, on the other hand, is too basic -- as the name
implies, it is usually fine for displaying a single web page from
another application, but will generally get messed up with even basic
interactions.

I am thinking of a portlet that plays the role of a browser towards the
application, including cookie handling, redirections, etc., while
displaying a possibly filtered version of the HTML to the portal user.
All of the user's interaction with the application should go via the
portal server.

Has any such thing been developed?  Is it (or maybe provisions for it)
contained in the upcoming Portlet API Standard?  If neither, I will
probably start implementing it myself -- would there be interest to
include such a thing in Jetspeed?

Thanks for your help.