From "Luta, Raphael (VUN)" <Raphael.L...@groupvu.Com>
Subject RE: portlet controllers
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:00:15 GMT
I can describe very easily how it works:

You basically have 4 types of layout elements:

Portlet = Component
PortletSet = Container
PortletController = LayoutManager
PortletControl = decorator (specialized container, handled more or less
                            like insets are used in AWT))

When you call a page, Jetspeed reads the associated PSML page and builds
a tree of PortletSet and Portlet. However for each Portlet or PortletSet, if
there's a PortletControl associated it is instanciated instead as a Proxy to
the
real Portlet or Set

Whenever a Page needs to be rendered, the engine walks the tree to render
each
Portlet or portletSet individually.

Whenever a PortletControl needs to be rendered, it handles its layout
function
(like providing title bars) and then invokes the proxied Portlet or
PortletSet
rendering.

Whenever a PortletSet needs to be rendered, the PortletSet delegates the
actual layout management to an associated Controller (Strategy pattern).

Whenever a simple Portlet is rendered, it does whatever it wants :)

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/