From "Luta, Raphael (VUN)" <Raphael.L...@groupvu.Com>
Subject RE: making a copy (clone) of a PSMLDocument
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:41:20 GMT
De : Glenn R. Golden [mailto:ggolden@umich.edu]

> To get the customizers to operate correctly, I need to, when
> we start to
> customize, make a copy of a Profile's PSMLDocument.  Then, the
> customizers can edit this copy, and if they don't end in a
> cancel, that
> copy will be made the actual stored / cached doc for the profile.
>
> I have not yet seen any code to do this in the system.  Does
> anyone know of any, or of any case already where we need to make
> a copy of the PSMLDocument?  The one case I though to check, the
> creation of a new user's profile from the "turbine" profile, doesn't
> even make a copy of  the PSMLDocument - it just assigns the very same
> one from the "turbine" profile to the new one and then saves it.

I don't think such code currently exists in Jetspeed but it should be
pretty straightforward to implement by supporting the Cloneable interface
in the psml object model interfaces.

I've not looked recently into the customization code but I guess the
introduction of unique ids in the psml elements may have created
the need to use clones instead of references.
The behavior you describe above for user creation is clearly wrong in the
current situation since you'd copy unique IDs between profiles...

What about filing this in bugzilla for tracking... ?

--
Raphaƫl Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/