From "Mark Orciuch" <mark_orci...@ngsltd.com>
Subject RE: Confused about portlet permissions
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 21:38:18 GMT
Dave,

I think that we're on the same page now. I will post my patches on Monday.

Best regards,

Mark C. Orciuch
Next Generation Solutions, Ltd.
e-Mail: mark_orciuch@ngsltd.com
web: http://www.ngsltd.com

-----Original Message-----
From: David Sean Taylor [mailto:david@bluesunrise.com]
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 4:31 PM
To: Jetspeed Developers List; mark_orciuch@ngsltd.com
Subject: RE: Confused about portlet permissions

I believe it should be View mode.
At this point, the customizer should have checked to see if you have
customize permission for the page.
The user is not customizing the portlet, the user is selecting and placing a
portlet on the page for view mode.

I also believe there should be a view (and perhaps optional) edit mode.
Edit allows the user to actually modify data on the portlet.

> >Customize grants you permission to customize that particular portlet.
> >Or in the case of a portlet (PSML) page, it grants you permission to
> >customize the entire page.
>
> Customize meaning clicking on the portlet/page customize icon, right?
Yes

> >Info can be another portlet mode. Consider the current modes of a portlet
> >are view and customize.
> >Info mode would be like a help mode for the portlet.
>
> Yes, that is what I thought. I am interested in implementing this type of
> functionality but it seems that customize and info icons are mututally
> exclusive. See this code in VelocityPortletControl.buildActionList:
>
>             if ( state.allowCustomize( rundata ) )
>             {
>                 if (! customized )
>                 {
>                     actions.add( new PortletAction("customize") );
>                 }
>             }
>             else
>             {
>                 if ( state.allowInfo( rundata ) )
>                 {
>                     actions.add( new PortletAction("info") );
>                 }
>             }

The above code looks wrong to me.
At least I don't understand the intention.
Whether one can go to info mode or not is orthogonal to customize

> Once I'm clear on all this, I'll create an xdoc. I can get
> involved with any
> related patches as well.

Patches and docs are welcome

David