From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject RE: Deutsche Boerse Group - Questions regarding Jetspeed
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:16:27 GMT
see below

All documentation is located at
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/index.html
The current service architecture is based on Turbine-2's. See:
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/services.html

>    What can Jetspeed do? What can Jetspeed not do?
> Are there any reliable statements/recommendations about the
> performance and
> scalability of Jetspeed frameworks?

Not really. Only the experiences of users and existing systems.
It would be great if the users of Jetspeed reported back some statistics and
if we recorded this information. However you can glean a lot of information
by searching the mailing list.

> -Best Practices:
> Is there a best practice catalogue about the conception and
> implementation of
> Enterprise Portals with the Jetspeed framework?

There isn't a lot of documentation associated with this project.
Unfortunately this is often the case in open source.
I've tried to write a tutorial, but I just don't have the time to complete
it right now.
For an enterprise portal project, I believe documentation of the sort that
you are requesting would be very valuable.

> Are there, in addition, any existing scenarios for a recommended system
> architecture?
>    Note: Cluster (high availability, reliability & load balancing), Hot
> Deployment,...

I have load-balanced Jetspeed with the Apache server.
Jetspeed runs no different from any other web application.
See the documentation at the specific Apache project:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/ajp.html

> How can you degenerate layout and content within Jetspeed in a
> simple way? For
> example to avoid layout data in a portlet.
>    Note: Over controls, controller and skins?
> How can you define own events and deal with them?
>    Note: Over action classes?

I don't understand what you mean by 'degenerate layout'

> -General Question:
> Are there any general experiences available regarding the
> interoperability of
> Jetspeed to a LDAP System?

I know of one LDAP implementation of Jetspeed Security model.
Unfortunately, it hasn't yet been approved for committal back to open
source.

> In order to guaranty secure data transmission through 'http over
> SSL', is it
> necessary to modify the Deployment Descriptor of the Jetspeed
> Web-Application?
>    Note: JBOSS, BEA WebLogic or IBM WebSphere
> Is it possible to add permanent values to a portlet? For
> instance, a portlet
> should always use the same control and is in possession of a property.

Yes

> -Bug tracking:
> After selecting the controller 'two columns (75/25)' in the
> customizer the panes
> are not displayed anymore.

See our Bug Tracking system found at:
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/query.cgi?product=Jetspeed

Before logging a bug, ensure that it doesn't already exist there

> Partly panes are not displayed correctly when the tab controller
> is used. The
> effect appears, when the user switched from the customizer to
> normal view. Then
> only the current pane is displayed.
>
> -Customizer:
> Is there any experience available regarding the adaptation of the
> cutomizer
> surface? For instance, to create a frontend for the Portal
> manager/administrator.

See the PSML Browser feature from cvs head
It allows for an administrator to customize any resource in the system

> Is it possible to implement a controller which is able to handle general
> information about row- and column span? E.g. within a three
> column table, a
> defined portlet should span over two columns.

We don't have row or column constraints in customization.
This would be a welcome feature though

David

> Thank you very much for your assistance
> Sebastian Martinez Cabrera
> Sebastian Martinez Cabrera
> eBusiness
> Deutsche Boerse AG
> --
> Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche oder rechtlich geschuetzte
> Informationen.
> Wenn Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfaenger sind, informieren Sie bitte
> sofort den Absender und loeschen Sie diese E-Mail. Das unbefugte Kopieren
> dieser E-Mail oder die unbefugte Weitergabe der enthaltenenen
> Informationen
> ist nicht gestattet.
>
> The information contained in this message is confidential or protected by
> law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and
> unauthorised distribution of the information contained herein is
> prohibited.
>

> --
For additional commands, e-mail: