From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] SMS
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:04:26 GMT
This area of code needs some work to clean it up.
See:

org.apache.jetspeed.capability.CapabilityMap;
org.apache.jetspeed.capability.CapabilityMapFactory;
org.apache.jetspeed.services.profiler.JetspeedProfilerService
org.apache.jetspeed.services.template.JetspeedTemplateLocatorService
org.apache.jetspeed.util.MimeType

In order to add a new media-type, you have to change the source code.
Our goal is to make this easier, and simply make changes to the media-type
registry, and then Jetspeed will figure out the rest.

Jetspeed works with two types of resources:
1. templates
2. PSML

If you look at the directory layout under webapp/templates and webapp/psml,
you will see subdirectories eventually broken down by media-type (wml, html,
xml)
So if you wanted to support a new media type, then you would have to create
resources for this new media type. I can go into specific details about how
this works in more detail.

The Profiler service locates PSML based on a mediatype calculation, likewise
the TemplateLocator service does the same for templates. This calculation is
based on the capabilities of the agent making the request. If the agent is a
HTML browser, the default mimetype is taken from this agent's request
headers, and mapped to a media type in Jetspeed. (Media types are stored in
the media type registry, see: webapp/conf/media.xreg
The mediatype name is then used to retrieve the specific resource matching
the agent's capability.
This area of the code could use some work, but not too much. You will see
areas where there are specific checks for "wml" and then hard-coding is
done. This needs to be improved on. A few months I added support for an XML
agent, and it didn't take much work. I believe the files that I had to
modify are the CapabilityMap and CapabilityMap factory. The hard-coded
checks there need to be moved out into registries. After making these
changes, I added the required templates and default PSML resources. I
believe that was all that was necessary.

Your timing is good, since I may be of some assistance. Im looking into
adding support for an xml-derivative media type tomorrow

David