From "Wimmer, Matthias" <matthias.wim...@scr.siemens.com>
Subject Portlet Instances
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:41:01 GMT
Hello,

I am just figuring out the difference between "Portlet", "Concrete Portlet",
"Concrete Portlet Instance" and "User Portlet Instance". This is how IBM
calls these different aspects of portlets. How do you call it in the
Jetspeed world?

When a page is aggregated in Jetspeed each portlet is instantiated and the
getContent method is being called. After that everything is thrown away. Why
don't you create the portlets when a user logs in and keep this tree for
further use.

Is there any issue that I am not aware of? Is it the memory occupancy? Is it
a good way to deal with missing log off operations of the users?

I am very obliged to your kind response.

Matthias Wimmer