From Chris Kimpton <kimptoc_m...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Portlet caching - NOT
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 20:07:43 GMT
Hi,

--- Glenn Golden <ggolden@umich.edu> wrote:
> I propose that we stop attempting to cache a Portlet.  I can think
> of no
> reason why it would be a benefit.  A Portlet cannot hold much in
> the way of
> instance variables, so it should not have any significant cost to
> construct.

Not sure if I understand which caching your talking about (which is
why I have avoid commenting on your proposals in general - leave it
to others who do know).  But if you mean the actual Portlet instance,
for example, like for example the VelocityPortlet, then isn't this
like a Servlet and they get cached.

I have used this facility - although I could have structured my code
to use an independent cache, like the GlobalCache to avoid the
problem.

So, my vote is -1 on removing this.

Chris

=====