From "David G. Powers" <jetspeed-...@pssp.com>
Subject Re: context
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 01:34:18 GMT

On Thursday 09 May 2002 12:46 pm, David Sean Taylor wrote:
> Raphael,
>
> Why is there more than one context?
>
> In a turbine action, if I do
>
>         Context context = TurbineVelocity.getContext(data);
> 	  context.put("thing", thing);
>
> And then in a velocity  page, I try
>
> 	$thing
>
> It doesn't find it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Isn't the controller going to drop whatever you've placed in the context
after the action is run?

I haven't looked at the code for TurbineVelocity but it looks like the
VelocityPortletController uses the getContext() method which is getting a
new (blank) context object.

public class VelocityPortletController extends AbstractPortletController
{
    public ConcreteElement getContent( RunData rundata )
    {
        // create a blank context and with all the global application
        // Pull Tools inside
        Context context = TurbineVelocity.getContext();

        context.put( "data", rundata );
        context.put( "controller", this );

There is an empty buildContext method in VelocityPortletController that you
might use.  Place the context objects in a session var (or use setTemp) and
then write a custom buildContext method to pull the object into the context.

Then again - I may be wayyyyyy off base!

DP

- --
David G. Powers
PowerSource