From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject RE: Portlet API re-implementation
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 17:01:07 GMT
> Since their API explicitly state that portal applications are
> packaged as _wars_, I can not understand how this does not
> require a J2EE application server to bind the whole stuff
> together. The reason for this realization, is that their
> Portlet extends HttpServlet. This would mean that it would be
> impossible to dynamically load new portlets. However, this
> isn't true if you require all Portlets to be bundled into
> _war_ files, and let the container dynamically load and
> unload the entire web application.

The portlet specification is not the same as IBMs.
I do not consider IBMs implementation the standard for us to be used in
comparisons.

The Portlet API expert group is made up of many companies and one
organization (Apache) involved in designing the specification.
The specifcation for a portlet application deployment is still being
discussed.
The common goal is for a standarized archive and deployment descriptor
deployable to any portlet container.