From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Portlet API re-implementation
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 16:38:51 GMT
| Lets just clear up one issue:
|
| Jetspeed's current architecture is designed as a Web Application-based
| Portal server.

Yes, I know.

| It does not extend the servlet api.

Yes, I know.

I just gotto ask: do I come across as I do not understand these points? See,
I so _totally_ understand them! ;-)

The reason for the interest is twofold: JSR 168 and its results, and my
masters thesis.

| The portlet specification will not prohibit implementation of a portlet
| container or portal as a web application.

If it follows IBM's model, I do not understand how you're supposed to make a
portlet container with _one_ web application.

Since their API explicitly state that portal applications are packaged as
_wars_, I can not understand how this does not require a J2EE application
server to bind the whole stuff together. The reason for this realization, is
that their Portlet extends HttpServlet. This would mean that it would be
impossible to dynamically load new portlets. However, this isn't true if you
require all Portlets to be bundled into _war_ files, and let the container
dynamically load and unload the entire web application.

I might be totally far off, but then please tell me where I am mistaken..!

Endre.