From Glenn Golden <ggol...@umich.edu>
Subject RE: Turbine - Jetspeed interaction problems
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:40:47 GMT
Yes, it means all this extra traffic.  But is the cost worth the benefit?

The goal is to get the browser to have a good URL, one that could be
"reloaded" or "back"ed without fuss and bother.  If we are customizing, or
doing other things that use a different url, and want to switch back to the
portal, we could internaly redirect things so that we respond to an action=
sort of URL with the same response as the /portal one, but then the browser
will be confused if the user hits reload.

A cool solution that lets us send whatever HTML we want AND fix the
browser's URL so that a refresh or back button would get this HTML again,
would be to internally route the request where we want it (somehow), and
then as part of the HTTP headers, tell the browser that, in effect, here's
the *real* URL that goes with the response, forget what the request URL
was... I wonder if there's a way in HTTP to do this?

- Glenn

ggolden@umich.edu               734-615-1419
http://www-personal.si.umich.edu/~ggolden/