From Glenn Golden <ggol...@umich.edu>
Subject RE: Jetspeed Proposal: iframe portlet control
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 18:16:27 GMT

What I mean here is...  If we have a portlet, say for maximize, do we encode
the portlet's own id into the maximize url?  Or the id one level up, that of
the control around the portlet?  Maximize needs to show the control and the
portlet.

If we encode the portlet itself id, as is sort of done now, the
jetspeedTool's getPortlet(String id) would need to do the same trick it's
doing now, i.e. finding the one referenced, but returning one level up, the
control.

If we encode the control directly, then getPortlet(id) can just return the
thing id'ed.

For iFrame, I need a getPortlet() that uses the actual id'ed portlet, not
the control around it, and so either getPortlet() does this (given the
portlet's own id), or we need the getPortletContent() as I proposed.

I vote for the id being what we get, without the control trick, and the
ability to encode the URL selecting either the portlet's own it, or the id
of the control of the portlet, if we have only the Portlet object to work
with.

- Glenn

ggolden@umich.edu               734-615-1419
http://www-personal.si.umich.edu/~ggolden/