From Glenn Golden <ggol...@umich.edu>
Subject RE: Jetspeed Proposal: iframe portlet control
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 04:16:23 GMT
So many messages, so little time!

I LIKE the leaner URL, such as:

http://host/jetspeed/portal/PortalEntry/7

Or

http://host/jetspeed/portal/group/Apache/PortalEntry/9

As David proposed.  +1 from me!

Instead of "PortalEntry", what about
- "portlet" (though this is for a portlet or portlet set)
- "peid"
???

* * *

To clarify my comment on the peid format, what I mean is
- use a simple number, not a hierarchy like 1.2.3.4.3.2
- make the number in the positive long space
- let the API treat it as a String, if that makes better sense, rather than
a long.  From the API's point of view, it's just a (local) unique id string.
That we happen to be using a series of long values is implementation.

* * *

New point: what do we id?  Each entry.  Each portlet set.  The entire
portal.  But we also need to have a different entry id for a portlet itself,
and a portlet with it's control, don't we?  Since the control is a portlet
set, and contains the entry, they can both have different ids.

I need this for the iframe stuff - I need to have a URL to just the portlet
without any control or containing portlet set, but maximize, for instance,
needs the id to the control around the portlet.

I think we need a way for a portlet to get the id of itself, of it's
control, and of all the portlet sets up to the top container.

On a related note, iframe src needs to have the just portlet, no control,
but also NO NAVIGATIONS!, where Maximize wants portlet, control and layout.
That's why the /template/ would pick a screen that has a no-navigation
layout and a just the portlet no control screen.  We can still pick the
screen template with /template/ with the lean URL's above:

http://host/jetspeed/portal/group/NEES/role/admin/PortalEntry/22/template/cl
ear

* * *

I think we need to have a formal API to have an id on the portal (.psml),
too.  This must be unique within Jetspeed.  It might be the
"/group/finance/html/default" sort of thing, or a DB key, whatever.  As long
as it's unique and id's the portal and is a string we can use whever we need
to id the portal specifically.

I'm using the rundata.getProfile().getDocument().getName() for this now, but
that's a bit more than I need (it has the common root path to the psml
files) and may not work with the db imp.  So lets do a standard API for
this, please!

* * *

Now, I am available to work on this (at my *day job* no less!).  I'll take
assignments!

* * *

We have *big* plans for our CHEF, which is based on Jetspeed, and will start
to be rolled out on campus this summer, with hundreds of users!  By next
winter, we will be supporting the entire campus and many off campus
scientific work groups (that's 10s of thousands of users).  It will depend
on our iframe stuff for independent portlet updating and automatic portlet
updating (I'll describe, propose and provide this later), and will depend on
group support (i.e. a group is the students of a class and the instructors,
or a distributed scientific group, all sharing a common group portal, in
addition to their own personal portals).  We will be providing a set of
collaborative tools (portlets and services).

So I'll want to help get the group stuff complete as well, and SOON!  I also
want to help us move to the upcoming portlet API standard, and to make sure
this standard gets developed!

Thanks.

- Glenn