From Glenn Golden <ggol...@umich.edu>
Subject RE: Jetspeed Proposal: iframe portlet control
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 16:05:43 GMT
My comments below:

-----Original Message-----
From: mmosttler@bco.com [mailto:mmosttler@bco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 10:49 AM
To: jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: Jetspeed Proposal: iframe portlet control

Glenn,
The proposal you make fits a lot of what we are doing as well.

I do have a few questions:
1.  How do you handle different browsers
    (iframe is not cross browser compatible)?

grg> well, we would only support iframe browsers.  Older browsers used
Layers and Frames and would not fit in the solution so well.  If the browser
didn't support the iframe, it would just revert to a non iframe'ed solution,
where the portlet lives in the main page.  This would work mostly, but might
break some applications that need independent updating of portlets.  Some
profiling of the user-agent on the server side would help those to know if
iframe was not supported.

2.  Would the proposed changes support an extension to use JSP
    instead of vm or is the handling of the URL specific to vm?

grg> I'm not as familiar with the JSP version of jetspeed (i.e. JPS controls
and such), but if that's what you are referring to, the Content screen and
page layout would have to be done in jsp instead of velocity, the iframe
portlet control too, and the jsp portlets would need to be able to form the
links properly (i.e. using an equiv of $jlink).

3.  Does it support links as well as form submits?

grg> Sure.  Turbine doGet is used for doPost as well.  If the link is back
to turbine, the same $jlink syntax would encode the URL - additional
parameters would be added to specify the link.  Links elsewhere would end up
going elsewhere, and that would be in the iframe.

4.  Is there anything keeping form submit targets within the portal
    or does it allow external to portal?

grg> You could submit anywhere.  It's only when you want to send back to a
portlet in the portal that you would use $jlink.  Once you submitted
elsewhere, elsewhere would respond, and the iframe's src would be
elsewhere... This is in conflict with what the portal page knows, so a
refresh would sort of mess things up.

marcus