From Jefferson Uy <jefferson...@islanddata.com>
Subject Concept of assigning permissions to roles
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:58:22 GMT
Hi,

I have posted this on the user's list but no one has commented on it.. so
maybe I'll try it with developers to see if my concept of using roles to
limit access to portlets is the way to go or not...

===

I have taken a good look at how Jetspeed works. However, there is one aspect
of it that is different from our own
concept. This is with regards to the assigning of permissions to Roles.

So far, the portals I have seen use Roles to choose which portlets/content
are available for a user to view/access. However, Jetspeed uses Roles
differently such that Roles are used to choose what type of action (i.e.,
close, customize,detach, info,maximize, minimize, personalize, view) a user
assigned with that role can do.

Is there a plan to change this concept in future releases? (to use Roles for
choosing which portlets a user can access rather than actions as what it is
now is release 1.3a2) Actually, the concept I'm advocating is how the
"admin" role works now... such that if I assign a user the "admin" role, all
the security portlets associated with admin shows up in the list of portlets
to add to the desktop.

Another question I have is that the permission browser comes with the
following default permissions: close, customize,detach, info,maximize,
minimize, personalize, view. Only customize seems to work as intended. What
are the other permissions for or are they not working? I have an idea on
what maximize, minimize may mean but I can't get confirmation since it does
not seem to work.

thanks.. jeff