From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Jetspeed Proposal: iframe portlet control
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:38:26 GMT
Glenn Golden wrote:

>For the portlet id, I think it needs to be unique withing the portal (psml
>file), and not unique within the entire system.  Adding a unique identifier
>for the psml (which must be more than "default", i.e. something to do with
>the path such as "user/turbine/html/default") when needed would make the

The "resource name", it could be other than a path if we are using DB or
LDAP for PSML resources.

>portlet id globally unique.  Actually, adding the user session as well and
>we can distinguish between two different users access to the same portal,
>etc.

I have said exactly the same in a mail that crossed. So we agree on this
one.

>I don't see why we need the hierarchical numebering, such as 1.2.1.1.2.3.  I
>think a simple integer would be better: id=1 for the entire portal (the top
>most portlet set), and increasing ids for all the identifiable entities

I tend to agree. After all, rational numbers have the same "kind of"
infinite as naturals. For static psml, hierarchical would reflect
structure. For editable psml, I think your proposal looks cleaner to me.

>withing (i.e. the other portlet sets and entries).  This would increment,
>missing numbers (due to changes) would never be reused, they would be saved
>but re-generated if missing.

Re-generating can be tricky, since you don't know how many ids would be
missing or present. You would need two passes on the resource, one to
identify the maximum, another one to set the missing ids.

This holds also for hierarchical numbering.

For re-generation to work in one pass, the "next" id should be stored as
an attribute of the root portletset (flat ids) or of each portletset
(hierarchical ids). This looks workable.