From Paul Spencer <pau...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jetspeed Proposal: iframe portlet control
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:16:06 GMT
We all agree the portlet id should be unique within the PSML
Document/file :)

By making the id unique within the entire system, which is easier, a
portlet set can be included in many PSML files, i.e. the common "company
info" portlet (Future enhancement).  This is easier because all we need
is a PortletElementIDService with the static method
PortletID.getNextID(). getNextID() is a simple counter that returns the
current value, increments, and updates the persistent copy (file of DB).
  Otherwise we would have to pass the PSML Document to the method, which
would have to scan for the max ID, and then increment. Yuck !

As to the format of the ID, it is a string. Is size a the issue, then
convert the integer to HEX, i.e. f09a2.  I do not see a need to build
the ID using information about, or from,  the PSML document, i.e.
Default.01.02.

Paul Spencer