From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Jetspeed Proposal: iframe portlet control
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:55:43 GMT
Glenn Golden wrote:

>Santiago -
>
>Thanks for the comments and the vote!  I'll change my "content" to "clear",
>as you suggested.  There is a "clear" portlet control, but not screens or
>layouts (yet).
>
>And I'll use $jlink.forPortlet() instead of setPortlet().
>
>Can we change forPortlet() in two ways:
>
>1) if the portlet parameter is null (as it would be if used on a portlet
>that is in the portal page, not maximized or in an iframe), can the method
>just ignore the call?

will it receive "null", i.e. null as a String, or ""? I'm not sure of
what is the result of "$!data.Portlet" in velocity. I guess it should be
"", but one never knows :-)

I think so.

>2) whatever naming convention we have to id a portlet within a portal page
>(uniquely), can forPortlet() be guaranteed to produce such a name?  Some
>string that can be in the portlet parameter (portlet=) and that the
>JetspeedTool's getPortlet() and (my new, newly named) getPortletClear()
>would use to find it?  And if there's any other name producer / consumer,
>that they all be standardized?  This might mean the "container=" parameter
>which recently was added would go away in favor of a complex portlet luid
>(local unique id, local to the portal page).

Yes. We have been needing this for at least two years. Although it will
be our collective work to guarantee it, i. e., to audit the code to
ensure it is used.

I don't know if your proposal brings problems with other developer's
effort, so let's wait a bit more until other people comments on it.