From Saddest OfAllKeys <keyofdmi...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: scaling
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:31:00 GMT

Thanks for the quick reply.

It sounds like a lot of the app needs to be
multithreaded.

Is there an overall plan to go in this direction?
Does this project have a benevolent dictator?  I might
be able to help out.  I must admit I'm new to the
whole Jakarta scene.

thanks,
Mike

--- David Sean Taylor <david@bluesunrise.com> wrote:
> We've added PSML into the database, Im doing the
> same for registries
> now.
> Goal is clustering Jetspeed
>
> The aggregation engine is good, I did some
> performance tuning on it
> recently.
> I'd like to take a few days sometime and try to tune
> the engine.
> Areas of improvement:
> -- payload is always dependent on the slowest
> portlet.
> -- there is no timeout on a portlet to generate its
> content
> -- all portlets content is aggregated on the same
> thread.
> -- caching of portlet container elements
>
> We have caching built into to most of the major
> features.
> IMO the logging is excessive, we should do something
> like
>
> If (loggingON)
> 	log("big long string constructor" + blah)
>
> Instead of
>
> Log(""big long string constructor" + blah)
>
> Don't know how much that will improve speed, have to
> test it
>
> Jetspeed logs the basic aggregation cycle to the log
> file
> Look for things like:
>
> [Fri Mar 22 11:08:40 PST 2002] -- DEBUG --
> PortletFactory.getPortlet():
> took a total of 0 millisecond(s) ->

-1653569551|template-hello|action-portlets.HelloAction|text-Hello