From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject RE: Concept of assigning permissions to roles
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:13:51 GMT

Roles can be assigned to portlets. See the admin.xreg:

  <portlet-entry type="ref" parent="CustomizerVelocity"
name="RolePermissionForm">
    <security role="admin"/>

This portlet will not be shown in the add portlets list unless the user
has the admin role

> Is there a plan to change this concept in future releases?

Yes, there have been lots of plans, but no action.
See the cvs /proposals/0004.txt
I believe another security proposal or 2 should be arriving shortly to
this list...

> (to use Roles for choosing which portlets a user can access
> rather than actions as what it is now is release 1.3a2)
> Actually, the concept I'm advocating is how the "admin" role
> works now... such that if I assign a user the "admin" role,
> all the security portlets associated with admin shows up in
> the list of portlets to add to the desktop.
>
> Another question I have is that the permission browser comes
> with the following default permissions: close,
> customize,detach, info,maximize, minimize, personalize, view.

Those are just the default permissions for windows controls.
You can add other permissions to the model.
I was under the impression that this worked.
If it isn't working, please log a bug in bugzilla

> Only customize seems to work as intended. What are the other
> permissions for or are they not working? I have an idea on
> what maximize, minimize may mean but I can't get confirmation
> since it does not seem to work.

Taking maximize action for example:
If you don't have permission for the maximize button, you won't see it
on the window.