From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject RE: Jetspeed Proposal: iframe portlet control
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 22:00:31 GMT

Glenn Golden wrote on Thursday, March 07, 2002 10:16 AM:

> What I mean here is...  If we have a portlet, say for
> maximize, do we encode the portlet's own id into the maximize
> url?  Or the id one level up, that of the control around the
> portlet?  Maximize needs to show the control and the portlet.

I would say encode the control - but we don't have a getParent() call on
portlets.

> If we encode the portlet itself id, as is sort of done now,
> the jetspeedTool's getPortlet(String id) would need to do the
> same trick it's doing now, i.e. finding the one referenced,
> but returning one level up, the control.
> If we encode the control directly, then getPortlet(id) can
> just return the thing id'ed.
>
> For iFrame, I need a getPortlet() that uses the actual id'ed
> portlet, not the control around it, and so either
> getPortlet() does this (given the portlet's own id), or we
> need the getPortletContent() as I proposed.
>
> I vote for the id being what we get, without the control
> trick, and the ability to encode the URL selecting either the
> portlet's own it, or the id of the control of the portlet, if
> we have only the Portlet object to work with.

I don't like the control trick that's done in JetspeedTool.
Im looking into adding getParent() to AbstractPortlet....
If we can't set the parent during the portlet tree construction, then
getParent() will have to reuse the code in JetspeedTool.
Then we can change JetspeedTool.getPortlet() to simply call
getPortletByID(id)

David