From "Mike Hogan" ...@mikehogan.net>
Subject Not WebPagePortlet or IFramePortlet, more like AnonymizerPortlet
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:22:01 GMT
Hi,

First of all let me say how impressed I am with Jetspeed.  We're ramping up on some portal
work at my work place and management are leaning towards BEA portal server.  Well, it took
me about 6 hours to download and install the bugger.  I had that and some demos working with
Jetspeed in about 1 hour.

We want to do something that might be termed "one sided integration".  We want to such the
HTML from a remote site and display it in the context of our portal.  However in some cases
we need to trap events in the session with this remote site.  For example, a "Place Order"
button is pressed.  We can do this by parsing the HTML or spying on cookies or whatever, but
the point is that we need to be active intermediaries in the conversation (we're not up to
anything illegal by the way, as I re-read the above and realise its tone ;-) ).

WebPagePortlet is close, but it does not let me snoop on the HTML.  IFramePortlet has the
same deficiency.  What I'd like is something like Anonymizer.com or SilentSurf.com that retrieves
the remote page, remaps each and every URL such that it comes back to my portal for snooping
and re-routing, and manages a session to the remote site.

Before we go any further, can JetSpeed do this?

If not, is somebody working on it?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Coz my current thinking has me facing these options:

 * Modify HTMLRewriter to map all URI's to the portal and provide an unmapper for returned
requests.
 * Take something like Jigsaw and turn it into programmable proxy, so I can say to it "get
the following content and remap it"
 * Take HTTPUnit and turning it into a programmable browser
 * Other mad things.

Anyway, please let me know your thoughts on this.  Pints all round!

Thanks,
Mike