From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject RE: Portlet (jetspeed 1.3a2) architecture - actions
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:38:33 GMT

The Turbine way to do this is via actions.
We have VelocityPortlets, with Velocity actions.
See the HelloVelocity sample portlet.
Actions and events will be standardized in the Portlet API.
You can read the original Portlet API at :
http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/PortletAPIDraft.pdf
(See chapter 7 on Portlet Events)
although this will merge with JSR-167 and will most likely change...

For now, I recommend using Turbine actions, and you can also leverage the
set of VelocityPortlets (CustomizerVelocity) work with Turbine actions
inside of a portlet.

For Turbine and actions see:
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/howto/action-event-howto.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/howto/velocity-site-howto.html

> I am just considering a simple ECS producing Portlet which extends
> AbstractPortlet (leaving the templates for later).
>
> Are we to use the action concept of Turbine for this? Is there
> some special
> naming convention that matches a form button to a method call in
> our portlet
> which is automatically called with the button press before
> getContent()? Or
> am I getting Turbine and Jetspeed confused?
>
> I see an example in the 1.3a2 distribution, the PollPortlet,
> which seems to
> just read form fields as parameters, just like, say, a servlet might do.
> This is pretty simple. Is this the intent for Portlets?
>
> The Portlet How To
> (http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/PortletHowTo.htm) is
> good, but it
> doesn't have an example with a round trip button.

What do you mean by 'round trip'?
Im sorry but Ive been trying to finish the Tutorial for a while now, but as
usual docs keep getting 'prioritized'.
I will try to get a VelocityPortlet example in tonight.
Luc has already sent me all the code, I just need to write the docs and put
it on the website.
Any suggestions for the tutorial are welcome.