From Glenn Golden <ggol...@umich.edu>
Subject Portlet (jetspeed 1.3a2) architecture - actions
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:39:47 GMT
I'm new to Portlets, and I've been reading the Jetspeed and Turbine docs,
and going through the code, and I'm confused about how a simple Portlet
would be structured. What is the intended way it would place some buttons in
its interface, and what is the intended way that these button presses come
back to the Portlet code?

I am just considering a simple ECS producing Portlet which extends
AbstractPortlet (leaving the templates for later).

Are we to use the action concept of Turbine for this? Is there some special
naming convention that matches a form button to a method call in our portlet
which is automatically called with the button press before getContent()? Or
am I getting Turbine and Jetspeed confused?

I see an example in the 1.3a2 distribution, the PollPortlet, which seems to
just read form fields as parameters, just like, say, a servlet might do.
This is pretty simple. Is this the intent for Portlets?

The Portlet How To
(http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/PortletHowTo.htm) is good, but it
doesn't have an example with a round trip button.

Any pointers to docs I may have missed, or simple Portlet code that can be
dropped in an email to this list to show how a simple button producing /
responding portlet is supposed to work would be of great help to me and my
team just now.

Thanks!

- Glenn

ggolden@umich.edu           734-615-1419