From Paul Spencer <pau...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Communication between portlets
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2002 02:38:31 GMT
Dang,

dang tuan wrote:

> Paul,
> I'd like to say it clearer. I have 2 portlets:
> "parent" portlet for showing list of parent items and
> "child" portlet for showing children items of that
> parent selected item. When user clicks on an parent
> item in parent portlet, its children will be showed in
> "child" portlet.
> Currently we use parameters in URL to communicate
> between portlets but it causes a bad effect : the
> whole page is refreshed and so do all portlets! I want
> to refresh only 2 related portlets in this scenario.

The entire page MUST be written, this is the nature of HTML.  If
Jetspeed was displaying each protlet in a Frame, then a one portlet
could be refreshed without refresing the others.

> In addition, I've read about new Jetspeed's proposal
> that new Portlet API will be launched. It will support
> inter-portlet communication fairly well but I don't
> know when it will be available.

My understanding is, the API is still in the design phase.  Regardless,
you problem may still exist.

> Any suggestion will be highly welcomed!
> DangTuan

Open the "Child" in a new window.