From "Niek Bunskoek" <nbunsk...@sogyo.nl>
Subject Caching of external resources results in empty portlets
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:10:41 GMT

Hello Everybody,

First, this is my system:

OS:			Red Hat 7.2
Apache:		1.3.22
Tomcat:		4.0.1
JDK:			1.3.1.02
Jetspeed:		1.3a1

Now follows my question. So you can see I am running Jetspeed 1.3a1 on
my system. I really works fine except after a while (hours) the portlets
which rely on external resources (eg. http://xml.com/xml/xmlnews.rdf)
seems to be empty. Here is the error log:

[Mon Jan 28 16:34:37 CET 2002] --  ERROR  -- RSSPortlet:  Couldn't parse
out XML document -> http://xml.com/xml/xmlnews.rdf
	Exception:  java.io.IOException: http://xml.com/xml/xmlnews.rdf:
is not in cache after forcing
	Stack Trace follows:
	java.io.IOException: http://xml.com/xml/xmlnews.rdf: is not in
cache after forcing
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.cache.disk.JetspeedDiskCacheEntry.getReader(Jetspeed
DiskCacheEntry.java:346)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.cache.disk.JetspeedDiskCacheEntry.getData(JetspeedDi
skCacheEntry.java:246)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.NewRSSPortlet.init(NewRSSPortlet.jav
a:140)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.factory.PortletFactory.getPortlet(PortletFact
ory.java:434)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.factory.PortletFactory.getPortlet(PortletFact
ory.java:124)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.factory.PortletSetFactory.getPortletSet(Portl
etSetFactory.java:373)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.factory.PortletSetFactory.getPortletSet(Portl
etSetFactory.java:339)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.factory.PortletSetFactory.getPortletSet(Portl
etSetFactory.java:339)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.factory.PortletSetFactory.getPortletSet(Portl
etSetFactory.java:339)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.factory.PortletSetFactory.getPortletSet(Portl
etSetFactory.java:339)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.factory.PortletSetFactory.getPortletSet(Portl
etSetFactory.java:339)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.factory.PortletSetFactory.getPortletSet(Portl
etSetFactory.java:339)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.factory.PortletSetFactory.getPortletSet(Portl
etSetFactory.java:299)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.factory.PortletSetFactory.getPortletSet(Portl
etSetFactory.java:272)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.modules.screens.Home.getPSMLContent(Home.java:178)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.modules.screens.Home.doBuild(Home.java:136)
	at org.apache.turbine.modules.Screen.build(Screen.java:100)
	at
org.apache.turbine.modules.ScreenLoader.eval(ScreenLoader.java:125)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.modules.layouts.JetspeedJspLayout.doBuild(JetspeedJs
pLayout.java:103)
	at org.apache.turbine.modules.Layout.build(Layout.java:93)
	at
org.apache.turbine.modules.LayoutLoader.exec(LayoutLoader.java:122)
	at
org.apache.turbine.modules.pages.DefaultPage.doBuild(DefaultPage.java:17
0)
	at org.apache.turbine.modules.Page.build(Page.java:92)
	at
org.apache.turbine.modules.PageLoader.exec(PageLoader.java:122)
	at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.doGet(Turbine.java:364)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatc
her.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDisp
atcher.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispat
cher.java)
	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.forward(PageContextImpl.java)
	at
org.apache.jsp.sogyoindex$jsp._jspService(sogyoindex$jsp.java:57)
	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServle
t.java)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
	at
tionFilterChain.java)
	at
erChain.java)
	at
e.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java)
	at
e.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java)
	at
)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherVa
lve.java)
[...]
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpRequestHandler.handle(WarpRequest
Handler.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection.run(WarpConnection.jav
a)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

This is a cache problem, isn't? I have looked at previous messages
concerning this problem (on the Jetspeed Mailingslist). No result.
You've only mentioned that there is a problem with the caching
mechanism, but didn't mention a solution for this problem. I looked at
the CVS, but I think I've got the latest java source of the Caching
mechanism.

DiskCache.java (version 1.10)
DiskCacheEntry.java (version 1.6)
DiskCacheUtils.java (version 1.11.2.1)
JetspeedDiskCache.java (version 1.33)
JetspeedDiskCacheEntry.java (version 1.19)

What I am doing wrong?

I rely on Jetspeed version 1.3a1.  Upgrade to Jetspeed 1.3a2 is not a
solution for me.

Please help me,

Many thanks,

Niek Bunskoek