From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon2 / Portlet API
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:27:53 GMT
En mié, 2001-11-14 a 19:55, Davanum Srinivas escribió:
> Paul,
>
> You mean that Cocoon2 will be yet another portlet that can be used directly. Right?
>
> I read the TODO item in a different way:
> "Define a portal implementation on top of Cocoon 2 for the new Portlet API"
>
> I read it as - Cocoon2 will be enhanced to implement a Portlet Container that could contain
> portlets that conform to the latest Portlet API. That was why i was asking for clarification.

Yes, this was the idea. We were looking at better XML integration. I am
still looking at this objective.

While cocoon is a very powerful publishing framework, jetspeed aims more
at having a standard platform to deliver the interface part of web
services (i.e., micro-documents that are integrated in a portal).

I use to think about jetspeed as a windowing system. A portlet developer
would have, from us:

- facilities to register a portlet in the system, and start/stop it
- event notification mechanisms, including
- callback telling when to "paint" itself, in a device independent way
- ui widgets (similar to what is going on in ex-formula project)
- security

I think XML is a very nice way to solve most of the previous
requirements. There is a lot of work remaining to be done.