From "Laura lega" <spanishiso...@libero.it>
Subject Re: WebPagePortlet and cookies
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 18:51:47 GMT
Hello again.
We need to use cookies to mantain the session of a client with a  server
through different calls to pages. I'm going to explain.

We have the following:
    - IBM Domino Go WebServer
    - Websphere Application Server

Jetspeed is installed on Websphere Application Server. Our application, that
contains an authentication process is hosted on Domino Go WebServer.
We want to use our application like a part of a portal built with Jetspeed.
In order to do this, we tried to use the WebPagePortlet to call the first
page of the application.
Our client sends a request for the first page of the application to
WebPagePortlet  on Jetspeed. The WebPagePortlet tries to get the page. The
WebServer recognizes the client has not logged in and sends Jetspeed a page
for authentication. Jetspeed forwards this page to the browser.

The user fills in the form and sends the page (this time) directly to the
WebServer.
The user has logged in.

Now the browser asks for another page of the application on the Webserver.
It does it through the WebPagePortlet.  The WebPage Portlet contacts the
WebServer to collect that page and the WebServer doesn't recognize the
requester and again sends the authentication page.
This shouldn't happen.

The problem is that when communication is directly between browser and
server, the browser receives the cookie the server uses to recognize the
client. After this, client and server go on exchanging the cookie during
their communication. The client can request many pages and it will be
authentified by the cookie.

When Jetspeed is in the middle, with the WebPagePortlet, cookies get lost.

I understand that when Jetspeed is in the middle, it will receive cookies by
the browser.  It should forward them to the webServer.
In our situation:
    - serverA --> IBM Domino Go WebServer + our web application
    - serverB --> Websphere Application Server + Jetspeed

considering all requests (inclusive those that will be managed by the
Websphere Application Server) will be directed to the Web Server, I don't
know if the browser, after authentication will get the authentication cookie
"marked" as ServerA or ServerB.

Furthermore, which cookies will Jetspeed get from the client? Those marked
as ServerA or those marked as ServerB?

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself. If not, please ask.

Thanks,
    Laura