From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: Using peer classes for DatabasePsmlManagerService Implementation
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:56:44 GMT
on 8/30/01 10:32 AM, "Atul Dambalkar" <adambalk@cisco.com> wrote:

> I am thinking about concentrating on defining such a schema that will get
> easily mapped on to all databases, no SEQUENCE or any proprietary database
> specific stuff, and follow Turbine by defining a separate ID_TABLE to store
> the primary keys for rest of the tables. Then query ID_TABLE at start-up.
> That way I will only have to use Village API. I am working on the Schema
> tweaking a bit. What do you think on this approach? I am trying to get
> information from people who have better database knowledge than me.

Just use Torque. It is a much better solution than using bare bones Village.
If you define idMethod="native" in Torque, then it will cause your system to
use whatever method is native for each database to do auto-increment.

If you define idMethod="idBroker", then Torque will use the IDBroker and the
ID_TABLE.

I don't understand why you are proposing re-implementing this wheel or doing
things differently.

-jon