From Atul Dambalkar <adamb...@cisco.com>
Subject Using peer classes for DatabasePsmlManagerService Implementation
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:49:54 GMT
Hi,

As you may know, I am working on DatabasePsmlManager implementation. At
first I was concentrating on the interface definitions and since now, that
is getting along quite well, I am now trying to concentrate on supporting
different types of databases on the same lines as turbine does.

I was going thro' Turbine documentation, and coming to a conclusion that in
order to achieve full database independence, we need to use Peer classes in
Jetspeed for the Database Tables we proposed (currently for Oracle). I need
some help related to generating and using Peer classes.

0. Do I need to use peer classes?
If yes:
   0. How should I generate peer classes? The only way to generate peer
classes is thro' build.xml, that is available in Turbine
   1. I guess, I will also have to write MapBuilder class similar to
TurbineMapBuilder.
   2. How does, map builder figures out about usage of database SEQUENCE or
AUTO INCREMENT columns
else:
   0. Is only Village API sufficient for handling all the database operations?
   1. I guess, figuring out SEQUENCE or AUTO INCREMENT is not possible
thro' Village API

Thanks.

-Atul