From Raphaƫl Luta <raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com>
Subject Re: Change to PSMLManagerService interface
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:09:02 GMT
McClelland, Mark wrote:

> I am working on an LdapPsmlManagerService implementation, and I plan to
> modify the PSMLManagerService interface to include either a user or a
> rundata as a parameter in several of the methods, so that LDAP
> credentials can be checked each time PSML is accessed or modified in
> LDAP.  I have two questions for the developers:
>
> Would you recommend passing a user or rundata, based on the direction of
> Jetspeed?

Can you describe your proposed modifications and their purpose ?
The current interface using the ProfileLocator should be able to address
these issues but we may have forgotten to take into account some scenarios...

> Would you consider committing a change to the interface and its various
> implementations to allow for this increased level of security?

Can you elaborate on what you'd like to implement and how you wish to use your
directory ?

I'm not sure I really understand why you would want to re-bind to the LDAP server,
which credentials you would use to bind to the LDAP (if you also use the LDAP
server as the User backend, it's most likely you can't read the stored password
from your application; if you use a SQL database for user storage, why would you
use LDAP for PSML ?)

Vivendi Universal Networks - Paris