From "Dave Carlson" <dcarl...@ontogenics.com>
Subject Re: can't find layouts/default.vm under Linux
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 17:52:15 GMT
Santiago,

Hmmm, very strange.  I'm not getting this error this morning, but I changed
*nothing* other than to restart the tomcat process on my server and reboot my
windows client.

Looking at the jetspeed.log I see only the "null attribute _menustate"
exception thrown since restarting tomcat this morning.  (Previous postings
said to ignore this one.)  However, scrolling back in the log from last night
shows many occurances of the following exception.  What is this "_display"
attribute used for?
While working yesterday, I had restarted the tomcat process several times, but
continued to reload the same browser instance on my client.  Could there have
been some old cookie information confusing things?

[Tue Jul 31 17:36:15 MDT 2001] -- DEBUG -- JetspeedTemplatePage: requested
template = Customize.vm
[Tue Jul 31 17:36:15 MDT 2001] -- DEBUG -- template exists:
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/templates/vm/screens/
html/Customize.vm returning /html/Customize.vm
[Tue Jul 31 17:36:15 MDT 2001] -- DEBUG -- JetspeedTemplatePage: calculated
template = /html/Customize.vm
[Tue Jul 31 17:36:15 MDT 2001] -- DEBUG -- template exists:
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/templates/vm/layouts/
html/default.vm returning /html/default.vm
[Tue Jul 31 17:36:15 MDT 2001] -- DEBUG -- JetspeedTemplatePage:
layoutTemplate is finally /html/default.vm
[Tue Jul 31 17:36:15 MDT 2001] -- INFO -- cache miss, object expired:
347675712|template-customizer-portletset|action-portlets.CustomizeSetAction
[Tue Jul 31 17:36:15 MDT 2001] -- DEBUG -- PortletFactory.getPortlet(): took a
total of 0 millisecond(s) ->
347675712|template-customizer-portletset|action-portlets.CustomizeSetAction
[Tue Jul 31 17:36:15 MDT 2001] -- ERROR -- Exception while retrieving
attribute _display for portlet PortletSetCustomizer
 Exception:  java.lang.NullPointerException
 Stack Trace follows:
 java.lang.NullPointerException
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.AbstractPortlet.getAttribute(AbstractPortl
et.java:585)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.AbstractPortlet.isMinimized(AbstractPortle
t.java:548)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.controls.VelocityPortletControl.buildActionList(Vel
ocityPortletControl.java:224)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.controls.VelocityPortletControl.getContent(Velocity
PortletControl.java:131)
 at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.execute(ASTMethod.java)
 at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.java
)
 at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.render(ASTReference.java)
 at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.SimpleNode.render(SimpleNode.java)
 at org.apache.velocity.Template.merge(Template.java)
 at org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.mergeTemplate(Velocity.java)
 at org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.mergeTemplate(Velocity.java)
 at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.decodeRequest(Turb
ineVelocityService.java:351)
 at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.handleRequest(Turb
ineVelocityService.java:247)
 at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocity.handleRequest(TurbineVelo
city.java:109)
 at
org.apache.turbine.modules.screens.VelocityScreen.buildTemplate(VelocityScreen
.java:151)
 at
org.apache.turbine.modules.screens.TemplateScreen.doBuild(TemplateScreen.java:
130)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.Screen.build(Screen.java:99)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.ScreenLoader.eval(ScreenLoader.java:129)
 at
org.apache.turbine.modules.layouts.VelocityOnlyLayout.doBuild(VelocityOnlyLayo
ut.java:98)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.Layout.build(Layout.java:91)

The exception in this morning's log file:

[Thu Aug 02 09:25:40 MDT 2001] -- DEBUG -- PortletFactory.getPortlet(): took a
total of 1 millisecond(s) ->
347675712|page-size-10|registry-Skin|template-browser-skin|action-portlets.Reg
istryBrowseAction
[Thu Aug 02 09:25:40 MDT 2001] -- ERROR -- Exception while retrieving
attribute _menustate for portlet 2
 Exception:  java.lang.NullPointerException
 Stack Trace follows:
 java.lang.NullPointerException
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.AbstractPortlet.getAttribute(AbstractPortl
et.java:585)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.controls.VelocityPortletSetControl.getTabs(Velocity
PortletSetControl.java:130)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.controls.VelocityPortletSetControl.buildContext(Vel
ocityPortletSetControl.java:93)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.controls.VelocityPortletControl.getContent(Velocity
PortletControl.java:149)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.util.template.JetspeedTool.getPane(JetspeedTool.java:166)