From "Lionel Siau" <m...@siau.per.sg>
Subject New Portlets for Jetspeed : LatestNews and UpdateNews.
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2001 01:47:20 GMT
Dear All,

I would like some advice since I'm 1/4 way thru building two new addition
portlets which I'm donating back to jetspeed. Bascially, they are a
LatestNews portlet that will update pple what has been going on and a
corresponding UpdateNews portlet to allow u to update the news.

The backend is a database (MySQL at the moment but will be HSQL later). The
LatestNews portlet extends AbstractPortlet and overrides the getContent()
method. The thing is that I can't figure out is how should the DB call be
processed. There are 2 alternatives. Firstly, have the DB calls done in
getContent() and iterate the results onto the screen. This i have already
done but I suspect is incorrect. THe second alternative I believe is to use
the Turbine engine to handle the database call. But after going thru lots of
source files related to the login process which I took as an example, I get
stumped. There is some sort of database ervice going on but I can't get at
it.

Can someone more experienced point me in the right direction?

Lionel