From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject RE: New Portlets for Jetspeed : LatestNews and UpdateNews.
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:02:33 GMT
All the database access in Jetspeed is security-based.
With the exception of a work-in-progress on storing PSML in a relational db,
all Jetspeed database access goes thru the JetspeedSecurityService (which
extends the TurbineSecurityService).
This service persists the security model (users, roles, groups)

If you want to access another database model, you can still use Turbine or
any other database tool that you'd like.
Of course you can put direct calls to JDBC directly in your portlet code,
but I prefer to abstract the database access layer to beans or an OR mapping
layer such as Castor or Torque.

David Sean Taylor
taylor@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed