From "Chuck Johnson" <cdjo...@viviport.com>
Subject PSML related object model
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:31:26 GMT
Raphael,

As I study the Jetspeed architecture and source code, one of the things that
troubles me is the object model surrounding the PSML and Portlets.  As I can
tell, the basic flow is as follows:

PSML XML File --> Profiler Service --> Profile --> PSMLDocument -->
Portlets -->  PortletSet

I'm not sure that I have this totally understood yet, but it seems to be an
area that has suffered from some evolutionary demise.

I think I have seen comments from David along these same lines, as well as
some comments in the code calling out areas for improvement.  I was
wondering if there is any effort underway to streamline this part of the
object model.

Is this related to the effort described in the TODO as "Substitute the
layout engine with a new stream-based one"?

Thanks,
Chuck

--
Charles D. Johnson

Vice President of Engineering
ViviPort, Inc., North Andover, Massachusetts USA
978.686.0096 | cdjohns@viviport.com | www.viviport.com