From SCHA...@de.ibm.com
Subject RE: New Portlet API
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2001 22:06:31 GMT

Chuck,

please see comments below.

Best regards,

Thomas

Thomas Schaeck
Portal Architect
IBM Pervasive Computing Division
Phone: +49-(0)7031-16-3479   Mobile: +49-(0)171-6928407   e-mail:
schaeck@de.ibm.com   Fax: +49-(0)7031-16-4888
Address: IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH, Schoenaicher Str. 220, 71032
Boeblingen, Germany

> > > Are there any anticipated changes to the surrounding object
> > model including
> > > Controls and Controllers?
> > >

> > Yes. Controls and Controllers will also change to a new lifecycle
> > closer to the
> > portlet one. This will avoid a lot of object instantiation in the
> > rendering process
> > thus making Jetspeed more efficient.
> >

> I'm relatively new to the Jetspeed architecture, so please forgive me for
> asking some fundamental questions.  However, as I consider our own
"Portlet"
> architecture, I see similarities and differences with the new Jetspeed
> Portlet API.
>
> Is there a need for Controllers and Controls in the object model?
> What if a Portlet had the potential of being a container of other
Portlets.
> Wouldn't a Controller or Control be a specialized implementation of a
> Portlet?

There is a fundamental difference between portlets and
controllers/controls.

Portlets are small applications that run in the portlet container, similar
to servlets running in a servlet container. It is important to note that
portlets are independent of portal implementations in general and layout
systems in particular, they are running in the standard environment that
portlet containers provide, independently of portal layout systems.

Controllers and controls are part of the layout system that is responsible
for aggregation of multiple portlets in a page, typically the layout
systems
are specific to particular portal implementations.

Portlets may be displayed by the JetSpeed layout system, but as well they
might be displayed by other layout systems that are different.

Only this strict separation between the layout system and the portlets
allows
to run the same portlets on different portal implementations with different
layout systems.

> > There was also discussion about changing PSML syntax (see mail
> > archives) but this
> > will depend a lot on user feedback and backward compatibility
> > issue. One of the goal
> > of the new PSML system being to easily allow file-based and DBMS-based
> > implementations...
>
> This is great.
>
> Another question, I see that the new Portlet API supports various scopes
for
> the management of persistent "Preferences" or "Properties".  Is there a
plan
> to support a "Per-Portlet, Per-User" scope?  That is, the ability to
manage
> user preferences that have been set for a specific Portlet instance on a
> Page?

The new Portlet API supports storage of portlet instance data. A
portlet can access its instance data (instances are usually per-user)
through PortletData objects obtained from the getData() method of the
PortletRequest.

 PortletData getData()
 Returns the data of the virtual instance of this portlet