From Raphaƫl Luta <raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com>
Subject Re: ApplicationPortlet and Turbine Application Service
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:36:02 GMT
Shawn Dahlen wrote:

> I was wondering what people's views were on the proposed Turbine
> Application Service
> that would allow for pluggable sub-applications.  Does this conflict
> with the
> ApplicationPortlet, or are they complimentary?

Actually they don't relate at all, ApplicationPortlet was a convenient way
one year ago to list available applications within the portal. I would
personnally consider it's use deprecated (but I know Santiago disagrees on this).

The Turbine Application Service would be better compared with the new portlet

API which offers similar capabilities but with different goals:
- Turbine AS aims to provide Turbine developpers a way to share and assemble
   components within the Turbine framework
- Jetspeed Portlet API aims to let you create components that can run on
   any other compatible platform, whatever the underlying framework.

As such Turbine AS will be richer because you can use the full extend of Turbine
tools and be sure to run them.
Portlets on the other hand may give you greater portability but fewer tools.

To illustrate the difference, if you have a component using the new Portlet API
(not implemented in Jetspeed HEAD) your component will be portable across
Jetspeed implementations whether they are based on Turbine, Struts or Cocoon* and
possibly other commercial portal servers like IBM WebSphere Portal if they support
this API.
*currently there's only a Turbine-based Jetspeed implementation available

Using Turbine AS, you can integrate your AS into any Turbine applications but not
other development frameworks.

Of course, since they approach the same issue from different perspective, you

can easily write a Portlet Application Service...

Vivendi Universal Networks - Paris