From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: [Off-topic] Open Source and commercial companies
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:47:27 GMT
Kimpton,C (Chris) wrote:

> Hi,
>

>>We're winning, slowly and cautiously (as it should be) :-)
>>

> <doom-and-gloom>
>
> Are we?
>
> M$ stock is still rising rapidly...

If you look at it from a 5 years point of view, it is about a tie now.

You can vary perspectives (2y, 1y, ...) Sun was hit hard for the
hardware they stopped selling because of the .com crash. Microsoft has
smaller presence in the high tech sector.

http://quote.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT&d=c&k=c1&c=SUNW,IBM&a=v&p=s&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l

> Look what happened to Netscape when M$ focussed its attention on the
> browser...
>
> I am all for OS - but I think if M$ sees it as a threat, then it will use
> its might to remove it...

They are trying. They are trying that the Government imposes a license
not so viral as the GPL to public developments, so that they can use it.
They are also trying to get commercial companies out of the Open Source
way. But my experience here is that commercial developers in the
Microsoft world are fearing being crushed between the move of MS to a
service provider and the speed of development of Open Source.

> I just hope that IBM, Sun and other companies that are pro-OS stand up for
> it...
>
> But hey - what can they do anyway...
>
> </doom-and-gloom>
>
> Chris
>
> ================================================================================================
> This electronic message (email) and any attachments to it are subject to copyright and
are sent for the personal attention of the addressee. Although you may be the named recipient,
it may become apparent that this email and its contents are not intended for you and an addressing
error has been made. This email may include information that is legally privileged and exempt
from disclosure. If you have received this email in error, please advise us immediately and
delete this email and any attachments from your computer system.Rabobank International is
the trading name of Coöperatieve Centrale Raiffeisen-Boerenleenbank B.A. which is incorporated
in the Netherlands. Registered with the Registrar of Companies for England & Wales No.
BR002630 and regulated by the SFA for the conduct of investment business in the UK.

> The presence of this footnote also confirms that this email has been automatically checked
by Rabobank International for the presence of computer viruses prior to it being sent, however,
no guarantee is given or implied that this email is virus free upon delivery.