From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Branching for release
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2001 09:53:32 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> Im experiencing problems with the latest cvs head.
> In summary, I fail to even get the home page with Catalina and Resin.
> With Tomcat, I get the homepage but the NewRSSPortlet is failing.
> See details below...
>
> My network card just quit working on  my development machine at home.
> (Jason, what did you do, man!)
> I hope to be back online tonight (pst) with a new network card, and to make
> some commits.

This is the Spring coming (thermal and emotional stress for your
computer :-) ). All the computers I know fail during Spring and Fall. My
dual processor is currently a single processor, because the Motherboard
started failing with two processor when the temperatures went up, a
couple of weeks ago. I'm failing too :)))))

> Im not having any problems with log4j, it appears to be logging our errors,
> but I will make sure that we use the same version of the jar as turbine.

I think it is because you have a modern log4j in the classpath, so the
one in the war is not used.

> WRT to the classes directory, I prefer it that way over having a
> jetspeed.jar. Its better for incremental development.
> I usually change my build to write its output to the WEB-INF/classes
> directory when developing.

Good to know. I had problems when I modified classes, because they got
modified in the jetspeed.jar, and the ones in classes were used instead.
So I had to keep expanding the war every time.

> Here is the problem with Tomcat 3.2:

The error below is due to a xerces, crimson, parser.jar or xalan.jar
that is incompatible with the one in Jetspeed. Move the one in jetspeed
to the tomcat/lib (or remove it from wherever it is in the classpath)
and try again. If it does not support namespaces it should be a very old
parser. The JAXP processor is taking this one. I use to replace the
parser.jar in tomcat/lib by the most current xerces in my webapps.

Also, it could be due to the TRAX properties definition. It could be
hidden in the configuration of something you have around. Look for xalan
(or other TRAX processor) in the jdk/jre/lib/ext directory

I will look for a more robust way to make it work.

> [...]
>  at org.apache.turbine.modules.Page.build(Page.java:90)
>  at org.apache.turbine.modules.PageLoader.exec(PageLoader.java:123)
>  at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.doGet(Turbine.java:447)
>  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740)
>  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:405)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:287)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.facade.RequestDispatcherImpl.doForward(RequestDispatcherIm
> pl.java:222)
>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.facade.RequestDispatcherImpl.forward(RequestDispatcherImpl
> .java:162)
>  at
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.forward(PageContextImpl.java:421)
>  at
> _0002findex_0002ejspindex_jsp_0._jspService(_0002findex_0002ejspindex_jsp_0.
> java:59)
>  at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:119)
>  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
>  at
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspCountedServlet.service(JspServlet.ja
> va:130)
>  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
>  at
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
> va:282)
>  at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:429)
>  at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:500)
>  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:405)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:287)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:79
> 7)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpC
> onnectionHandler.java:213)
>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:416)
>  at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:501)

> Here is the problem in both Catalina and Resin:
>
> [Tue Jun 05 22:20:39 PDT 2001] -- ERROR -- Error rendering Velocity
> template: screens/html/Home.vm: Invocation of method 'getPane' in  class
> org.apache.jetspeed.util.template.JetspeedTool threw exception class

I get a similar NPE with tomcat 3.2 in the turbine user, when I click
the RSS pane. I don't know if it is related.