From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Problem with log4java (was: Branching for release)
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:39:59 GMT
Johnny Cass wrote:

> Santiago Gala wrote:
>

>>Also, I'm seeing funny things with current CVS.
>>
>>- jetspeed.jar is not in the war, at least not in WEB-INF/lib ???
>>

> The current build system does not add jetspeed.jar to the war. Instead,
> the jetspeed classes are compiled into the 'classes' directory which
> *is* distributed with the war. As far as I know, the net effect should
> be the same (both are added to the classpath of the webapp).

OK. Since I had two errors mixed up, I will try without jetspeed.jar to
see if/how it works.

The problem I see with this setup is that we can no longer build and
then move the jetspeed.jar to the tomcat directory. How do you manage
incremental builds? Do we have a target where we can specify a webapp
target directory for ant to copy the compiled files (and maybe content)
there, w/o building and expanding the war under tomcat?

Expanding the war destroys any permanent changes done by customization,
the cache, etc.

>>- I get a catastrophic error about log4java (seems like updating
>>turbine.jar is not enough).
>>
>>After I added the jetspeed.jar to the webapp and changed the log4java
>>1.0.4 files by log4java 1.1 (coming from Turbine HEAD), it seems to work
>>again.
>>

> Hmmm...not sure why this is happening, anybody else having the same
> problem?

The cause is probably this: David changed turbine.jar, to prepare for
the turbine release. Possibly he forgot to switch log4java versions:

> taylor      01/06/04 00:08:51
>
>   Added:       lib      turbine-2.2-dev.jar velocity-1.0.jar
>   Removed:     lib      turbine-TDKa13.jar velocity-1.0b2-dev.jar
>   Log:
>   upgraded to TDK 2.2
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.1                  jakarta-jetspeed/lib/turbine-2.2-dev.jar
>
>   	<<Binary file>>
> 1.1                  jakarta-jetspeed/lib/velocity-1.0.jar
>
>   	<<Binary file>>

I will not commit the change until David does it, or else says there is
a reason for not doing it (or tells me please do it :-) ). It should be
noticed for cvs checkouts after June 4th. If nobody removed the
webapps/jetspeed directory, to have the war expanded, you will still run
with the old turbine and velocity jars.