From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: PSML related object model
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:18:18 GMT
Just wanted to point out that there is already a psml repository abstraction
in the cvs head:

See org.apache.jetspeed.services.PSMLManagerService.

Here is the interface:

public interface PsmlManagerService extends Service
{

    /** The name of the service */
    public String SERVICE_NAME = "PsmlManager";

    /**
     * Returns a PSML document of the given name.
     * For this implementation, the name must be the document
     * URL or absolute filepath
     *
     * @param name the name of the document to retrieve
     */
    public PSMLDocument getDocument( String name );

    /** Save the PSML document on disk, using its name as filepath
     *
     * @param doc the document to save
     * @return true if the operation succeeded
     */
    public boolean saveDocument(PSMLDocument doc);

    /** Save the PSML document on disk to the specififed fileOrUrl
     *
     * @param fileOrUrl a String representing either an absolute URL
     * or an absolute filepath
     * @param doc the document to save
     * @return true if the operation succeeded
     */
    public boolean saveDocument(String fileOrUrl, PSMLDocument doc);
}

We also provide one implementation:

org.apache.jetspeed.services.psmlmanager.CastorPsmlManagerService.

This interface enables you to store your psml content in any persistent
store that you choose to implement, a database, ldap, etc... Jetspeed will
minimally provide the Castor-based XML persistence store. Castor also
supports a JDO-like persistence to databases, which we are also considering.

Considering a request for a psml resource, an inverted flow would be:

Request

-->Request -->

           Request Parameters (mediatype,device caps,language,profile
params)

-->Profiler -->

             Profile ( an abstract description of the requested resource )

--> Locator Service (this is currently coupled with the profiler)-->
       (using the psml-manager interfaces to retrieve the document)

            Document-Name (its currently a file-based path, this needs
improvement...)

--> PSML Manager.getDocument -->

             PSML Document

IMO, we still need to refine the locator service/profiler issue, since the
profiler is now used to locate templates also.