From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Branching for release
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 17:44:43 GMT
Im experiencing problems with the latest cvs head.
In summary, I fail to even get the home page with Catalina and Resin.
With Tomcat, I get the homepage but the NewRSSPortlet is failing.
See details below...

My network card just quit working on  my development machine at home.
(Jason, what did you do, man!)
I hope to be back online tonight (pst) with a new network card, and to make
some commits.

Im not having any problems with log4j, it appears to be logging our errors,
but I will make sure that we use the same version of the jar as turbine.

WRT to the classes directory, I prefer it that way over having a
jetspeed.jar. Its better for incremental development.
I usually change my build to write its output to the WEB-INF/classes
directory when developing.

Here is the problem with Tomcat 3.2:
 Exception:  org.xml.sax.SAXException: problem in SAX transform:
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Namespace not supported by
SAXParser
 Stack Trace follows:
 org.xml.sax.SAXException: problem in SAX transform:
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Namespace not supported by
SAXParser
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.util.SimpleTransform.transform(SimpleTransform.java:387)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.util.SimpleTransform.transform(SimpleTransform.java:294)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.util.SimpleTransform.transform(SimpleTransform.java:258)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.JetspeedContent.parse(JetspeedContent.ja
va:189)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.JetspeedContent.init(JetspeedContent.jav
a:142)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.services.portletfactory.JetspeedPortletFactoryService.ge
tPortlet(JetspeedPortletFactoryService.java:299)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.services.portletfactory.JetspeedPortletFactoryService.ge
tPortlet(JetspeedPortletFactoryService.java:141)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.services.PortletFactory.getPortlet(PortletFactory.java:9
2)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.services.portaltoolkit.JetspeedPortalToolkitService.getS
et(JetspeedPortalToolkitService.java:390)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.services.portaltoolkit.JetspeedPortalToolkitService.getS
et(JetspeedPortalToolkitService.java:373)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.services.portaltoolkit.JetspeedPortalToolkitService.getS
et(JetspeedPortalToolkitService.java:373)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.services.PortalToolkit.getSet(PortalToolkit.java:165)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.om.profile.BaseProfile.getRootSet(BaseProfile.java:116)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.util.template.JetspeedTool.getPane(JetspeedTool.java:139
)
 at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.execute(ASTMethod.java:245
)
 at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.ja
va:171)
 at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.render(ASTReference.jav
a:207)
 at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.SimpleNode.render(SimpleNode.java:25
9)
 at org.apache.velocity.Template.merge(Template.java:283)
 at org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.mergeTemplate(Velocity.java:441)
 at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.decodeRequest(Tu
rbineVelocityService.java:352)
 at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.handleRequest(Tu
rbineVelocityService.java:247)
 at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocity.handleRequest(TurbineVe
locity.java:109)
 at
org.apache.turbine.modules.screens.VelocityScreen.buildTemplate(VelocityScre
en.java:151)
 at
org.apache.turbine.modules.screens.TemplateScreen.doBuild(TemplateScreen.jav
a:130)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.Screen.build(Screen.java:99)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.ScreenLoader.eval(ScreenLoader.java:129)
 at
org.apache.turbine.modules.layouts.VelocityOnlyLayout.doBuild(VelocityOnlyLa
yout.java:98)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.Layout.build(Layout.java:91)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.LayoutLoader.exec(LayoutLoader.java:123)
 at
org.apache.turbine.modules.pages.DefaultPage.doBuild(DefaultPage.java:166)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.Page.build(Page.java:90)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.PageLoader.exec(PageLoader.java:123)
 at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.doGet(Turbine.java:447)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:405)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.facade.RequestDispatcherImpl.doForward(RequestDispatcherIm
pl.java:222)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.facade.RequestDispatcherImpl.forward(RequestDispatcherImpl
.java:162)
 at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.forward(PageContextImpl.java:421)
 at
_0002findex_0002ejspindex_jsp_0._jspService(_0002findex_0002ejspindex_jsp_0.
java:59)
 at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:119)
 at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspCountedServlet.service(JspServlet.ja
va:130)
 at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:282)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:429)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:500)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:405)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
 at
7)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
 at
onnectionHandler.java:213)
 at
 at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:501)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Here is the problem in both Catalina and Resin:

[Tue Jun 05 22:20:39 PDT 2001] -- ERROR -- Error rendering Velocity
template: screens/html/Home.vm: Invocation of method 'getPane' in  class
org.apache.jetspeed.util.template.JetspeedTool threw exception class
java.lang.NullPointerException